Solar Cell Crack Detection MarketMarket Analysis
Worldwide solar market has grown at 64% CAGR during the last 5 years.
Slower rate of 15-20% in the next few years.
Module shipments in 2011 were 23.6 GW with 85% production with Si technology.
Worldwide industry revenue will reach $100 billion by 2014.
Cumulative Installed PV capacity in the top eight countries (EPIA 2011)
Wafer breakage during processing is a very high cost issue:
- Propagation of cracked cells into the end modules
- Several minutes of downtime to clean up scattered parts
- Source of potential contamination, failure at print steps
- Electrical failures during cell and module tests
Yearly loss of ~$440K per 25MW production line:
- Production: 1 cell every 2 seconds, 80% up-time
- Production: 12.6 million cells per year
- 0.5% undetected defective cells end-up in modules: 63,000 defective cells per year
- $7 per delivered cell ~ $440K in lost revenue due to undetected cracks per year per production line
GoalsSolar cells manufacturers have a need for:
- A method to detect and reject cracked wafers before they are processed
- Detect cracked wafers at any stage of the cell production
- Detect and reject cracked solar cells before lamination into panels
- Non-destructive, non-invasive
- Perform at planned automation rates (1 cell every 2 seconds or faster)
- CCD crack inspection (luminescence and IR transmission) are the only options with limited capture rate due to closed cracks and non-crack related artifacts such as surface scratches.
- Ultrasonic Technologies offers a complete range of products and services aimed to provide accurate and fast crack detection in Si wafers and solar cells.
- Ultrasonic Technologies provides on-site consultation services, after sale support and comprehensive training.
- Patented and proven technology is built into the Resonance Ultrasonic Vibration system which accurately detects mm size cracks at every stage of cell production.
- Our customers benefit from the flexibility of choosing R&D systems or full production systems which are fully integratable into solar cell or module lines.
- Significant Cost Reduction of typical solar cell/module production lines is achieved.
- ROI is estimated from 6 to 12 months.